Sunday, May 10, 2009

Seagate FreeAgent Go 320Gb

PhotobucketPhotobucket
Recently my anime collection has really taken a toll on my hard disk. Using up the majority percentage leaving me with only +-1 gigabyte left. So a few days back I thought that it was about time I got myself a spare hard disk to store my animes temporarily. Then finding out that last Saturday was a holiday, I thought it was a great opportunity to go get one. So did a little Google to do some read up on some information Friday night, and went to Digital Mall the next day. Came back with a Seagate FreeAgent Go 320Gb Usb only. Encountered some minor misinformation which should be cleared up. First off, when I Googled around, all reviews of the Seagate FreeAgent portable hard disk had firewire a.k.a 1394. But when I shopped around, there were no Firewire versions, only usb adapters.
Cosmetically, the drive looks quite a stunner. When plugged in, dots of lights radiant from holes which is not easily seen by the eye.
PhotobucketPhotobucket

I don’t have the knowhow to do a full performance test. And do not have any benchmark software I can use currently. But in summary, it took me 19 seconds to transfer a single 500mb .mkv media file from my internal hard disk to the Seagate FreeAgent Pro. Is that suppose to be good? Lol. I honestly have no benchmark-freaking-clue. Although a 320Gb, the usable space was only 298Gb. I doubt the auto back-up software and drivers took up 20Gb, and I’m not bothered enough by it to replug my FreeAgent after I have stored it away neatly. Now if only they put all the files neatly into a Seagate folder or something. I’m a neat-freak. I like my files properly and thoroughly folder-ized.
Photobucket
Ignore the 227Gb remaining in the screenshot please, I backed up some files and hid it. :p

One thing to take note is that the cable provided is too short. Initially I wanted to connect the FreeAgent to a usb port located in the lower front of my computer casing (below the 3.5” floppy drive) and leave the hard disk on top of the casing. But it was too short, and I didn’t want to leave my hard disk on the floor. Pfft!
Photobucket

End of the day, I believe it was a good buy. Seagate FreeAgent Go 320Gb @ Rm259 at Digital Mall PJ. Other minor specs include 7200rpm, Usb adapter, and erm… nice packaging? Lol!
Only question now is, how reliable is it? We’ll see as I plug it in, add files, un-plug it on a daily basis.
Photobucket

0 comments: